Tip{py} Tuesday: DIY Diaper Changing Table


20131210-092828.jpg

If you haven’t figured it out by now, my pretty thrifty; I’ll even say I’m cheap. I feel if there is a way to save I’ll try and do it; but extreme couponing- no. I also like to repurpose and make a challenge of it. I also like to save my furniture and decor. One thing I have learned from moving so many times is not all your furniture may for in this house but it can in the next. Also, not every bathroom you have will be completely pink (walls, tile, floor, toilet- you get the picture). So I have a few totes full of different color pillows, curtains and bathroom ensembles. I try to make all my furniture fit some how just in case I have an office in the next house I lack in this one. Which is how the office desk got turned into a diaper changer.

It really was quiet simple and totally reversible. I did think about painting it (which you can. There is a great spray primer out there that would cut time in half) but realized I hate pink (the color I would do) and I would just have to repaint it ever time we moved to match the next house. Way to much effort. So here’s how I did it-

Supplies
4 cafe rods
Fabric
Sewing machine or no sew tape
Nails
Hammer

Took our old desk we had no room for in our new home. It was a $100 Sauder desk from Walmart with a hutch and a lower cabinet for the computer.

Next, I went to our local, and only, fabric store with height and width of the desk measurements from the floor to the top of the desk (not top of the hutch). Remember to measure the front and sides. I hit up the back room where they have bundles or fabric remnants and bought in bulk. I always want extra fabric to make coordinating projects. And buying from the remnant sections allow me to buy extra.

After I got home, I whipped up a couple of hems on my measured out fabric. I used the hem as the pocket to run the rods through. Once I got the fabric panels on the rods I told my curtain rods and nailed them to the front and sides on the desk top.

20131210-093540.jpg.

As a disclaimer please watch your children when they are being changed. There are little white straps on most diaper changing pads that allow you to screw them to the changer as a anchor. Additionally, you can cut a few pieces of scrap 2×4, paint it and attach it to the top of the desk to create a lip to keep the pad on and adds a little more security.

Advertisements

DIY Butterfly And Ribbon Crib Mobile- As Seen On Etsy and Pinterest


20130428-191901.jpg

Since I like to make a lot of thing myself instead of having generic store bought items, I often find myself studying a item intently in order to break it down for construction.

While Hubs was away and I was preggers with SB, I had complete control of decorating the nursery. I never asked for his input since baby would be almost a year before he meet her (yes, you read that right!). So I spent many of pregnant induced sleepless nights stalking Pinterest for decorating ideas.

One of my favorites with this ribbon and butterfly mobile. It fit perfectly with the bedding I was reusing from Diva’s nursery. And since it was hand made and one of a kind, it was right up my alley to take on as my next project.

20130428-192535.jpg

Supplies

*Martha Stewart butterfly punch (these can be costly. So I waited for a coupon and got it half off. I also used it for other decor in her room)
*ribbon (different material, widths and color pallets)
*lace
*yarn
*white floral wire (found at floral section at Walmart)
*fabric (I used pink felt)
*fishing line
*paint chips
*hot glue
*eye hook

The nursery was in browns and links so when choosing my supplies I chose in that color scheme.

To make it more stable I would suggest using a wooden hoop you use for cross stitch. However, due to where we live we only have one craft store that didn’t carry them. So I went to Walmart and found the white floral wire. It works but doesn’t hold it’s shape as well.

I made two circles out of the floral wire. One larger than the other. I then took 4 pieces of the floral wire and spaced them out evenly, hooking one end to the small circle and the other end to the large circle. So when you lift the small circle, the large one is connected (since I did this over a year ago; I didn’t for see to take photos). I then attached for more pieces of floral wire to the small circle. I gathered the other ends of the floral wire into a cone and taped them with white tape. I made a small loop on the end to hang them from.

After that I just cut pieces of my ribbon, material, lace and yarn at about 3 inches each. And just tied a simple knot around the white floral wire. I did no pattern and tied it all extremely random. I wanted all the different materials to show, so I just tried not to group them.

After that I got to punching out my butterflies from the paint chip cards. I can’t tell you how many I did. But maybe 30.

I made about 7 “chains” of butterflies tied on a piece of fishing line. Since paint chip cards come with 3-4 order different shades of colors, I made sure I didn’t tie two of the same shade close together. On 7 of the chains I tied 5-7 butterflies. On about 5 chains I tied 3-5. I wanted to vary the lengths of chains.

After I punch and tied all the butterflies, I then tied the 7 longer to the top smaller circle. And the 5 shorter chains I tied to the lathers bottom circle.

I then took my 3 inch wide ribbon I purchased and hot glued 4 pieces along the 4 floral wires at the top I attached to hang. This hides the floral wire. I then created a cute bow and hot glued it over the hook I made to hide that as well.

Lastly, I screwed in the eye hook into the ceiling and hung up the mobile using the hook I created with the floral wire. Good thing is I know when I need to lower the crib mattress bc I find pieces of butterflies on her floor. So just make sure you hang it high enough to where baby can’t reach. And it beats the $60 kit on etsy you can buy.